REFUSE/RESIST/REDUCE/REUSE/RECYCLE AND BEYOND
Jack Johnson - The 3 R's
Growing
up in Pakistan the notion of Recycling was very vague, it was a conversation
but in reality, what was not of any use to me became somebody else and from
there on it would soon end up in a landfill on the outskirts of the city, where
the children of the forgotten and the downtrodden would try and salvage what
could be reused if not sold, some even choosing to live better part of their
marginalised lives in the landfills.
Possibly
my first reality check was when I held my newly born daughters, I wanted to
make some difference for them, educate them and lead as an example.
In
this journey, what I observed essentially sets an undertone to all my words…I
saw over consumption, it was uncanny how each time a new fad came in, we
shifted our opinions, our choices changed like the days of the week. We had
accepted this pattern of how advertisers would shape how we allocated our
weekly budgets… through this pattern I hypothesised what would be my first
lesson, and it did not begin with Reduce it began with an angst “Refuse!” THOU
SHALT NOT! I had to somehow make myself and then others realise the unnecessary
paradigm of Necessary as advertised, followed by “Resist” to understand that it
was important not to give in followed by “Reduce” “Reuse” and then “Recycle”.
With
the Millions spent on product development there are Millions spent on finding
ways to make that product profitable with research on market trends and sweet
spots for consumption, with people standing in lines for days at end for the
new iPhone or the kind when the need is not present, corporations funding
awareness for “Green” by making sure their sales don’t drop. I am not
criticising the Business; my issue is with the consumer and the educator.
Educate
Resistance before it is too late.
Comments
Post a Comment