HALL9000 AND THE SMART CITY CONUNDRUM
"I am Sorry Dave I cant do that"
I
have always been interested in Science fiction, though my first walks were in
the gardens created by Asimov it was not until I started reading the like
of Arthur C Clarke that I started envisioning a future that was real and
not just a dystopian parallel universe, I grew up with the Atari's and the
Amiga 1000's, you had machines with limited intelligence or programming nothing
you could not control, there was no need for the 3 laws of robotics but you
could imagine a time when you would, I have never understood the need for
instant gratification, the price for convenience, it may be my paranoia to walk
with but why do we choose to live in glass houses and throw stones at others is
beyond me.
In
my opinion, we are erratic and chaotic by nature but our tendency to seek for
ever more ease will someday come to haunt us, we need checks and balances on
the systems that we are creating, every day our reliance on intelligent systems
is increasing, yes, we have great minds managing the systems but for how long,
soon enough the vigour will diminish, the vigilance give way to absolute
reliance on AI.
We
are resilient but why do we have to wait for a crisis before we take it
seriously, we preempt but take no action, in my opinion it is imperative to use
technology as a tool as an extension of us but not to render us useless, why do
we need Hall 9000 to kill one of us before realising that power corrupts and
absolute power corrupts absolutely.
There
is a dark side to technology and there is a Light there as well, we need to
choose what we keep in our hearts and what we advertise. Smart cities are a
great tool, but to what extents do we need to let it direct us? I still do not
know why we are giving so much power to what is also evolving with us, I
understand that technology can save us, I know that each and every day its
making a lot of difference, but it is also making people redundant, it is also
the keeper of our secrets it is our shield but should not be our herald, just
because it can drive for us we do not need to forget how to drive.
Comments
Post a Comment